Modern Sporting Rifle Evolution
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
300BLK

Member
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #1 
I have some LC09 & 10 headstamped (as well as mixed headstamp) brass that I have converted to WLV. The problem I have is the primer pockets. I have tried the most common methods for removing the primer pocket crimp; reaming, swedging, chamfering. Not at the same time, lol. It seems like it is either too tight or too loose when I get done, never the Goldie Locks "just right". I'm thinking about buying some new unfired brass like Hornady or Remington to convert. Any thoughts? Is case capacity going to be an issue?
0
Rifter

Avatar / Picture

First 50
Registered:
Posts: 993
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300BLK
I have some LC09 & 10 headstamped (as well as mixed headstamp) brass that I have converted to WLV. The problem I have is the primer pockets. I have tried the most common methods for removing the primer pocket crimp; reaming, swedging, chamfering. Not at the same time, lol. It seems like it is either too tight or too loose when I get done, never the Goldie Locks "just right". I'm thinking about buying some new unfired brass like Hornady or Remington to convert. Any thoughts? Is case capacity going to be an issue?

You need to describe what tools you're using, and how you're using them. 

I prefer reaming to swaging, and I use the Hornady reamer bits that have a stop shoulder to prevent going too deep.  Chuck them up in a bench drill press, and away you go.  Many people prefer swaging and there are good tools for that.

The other thing is what is the source of your brass?  You have to be picky about that, because some guys will scoop up crap that was fired in machine guns with sloppy chambers, and some lots of brass used a type of crimp that looks like little stab marks at each compass point.  That stuff is crap, and it si difficult to get good clean reams or swages.

Or, you can do what a lot of us do, and just buy ready to load brass from Bruce at JB Firearms.  Costs a bit more than doing it yourself, but its more than made up for by the time saved, not to mention the aggravation.

__________________
Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.  Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty.  Thomas Jefferson
NRA Benefactor Life Member
ISRA member
0
300BLK

Member
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter
You need to describe what tools you're using, and how you're using them. 

I prefer reaming to swaging, and I use the Hornady reamer bits that have a stop shoulder to prevent going too deep.  Chuck them up in a bench drill press, and away you go.  Many people prefer swaging and there are good tools for that.

The other thing is what is the source of your brass?  You have to be picky about that, because some guys will scoop up crap that was fired in machine guns with sloppy chambers, and some lots of brass used a type of crimp that looks like little stab marks at each compass point.  That stuff is crap, and it si difficult to get good clean reams or swages.

Or, you can do what a lot of us do, and just buy ready to load brass from Bruce at JB Firearms.  Costs a bit more than doing it yourself, but its more than made up for by the time saved, not to mention the aggravation.

I use an RCBS swedge tool mounted in my Hornady press. I have used the Hornady reamer also. The brass came from a local gun store @ $5/100 so I'm sure it's not great stuff.

JB appears to be out of stock at the moment. And I can't count my time as having any value, I'm just getting out of the house and the constant barrage of cable news and The Walking Dead.
0
JW6964

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 68
Reply with quote  #4 
I never had any luck using a swager, so u currently use the Lyman case prep station with the RCBS reamer tool and the Lyman reamer for when I need a little more. I also use a go no go primer guage. I think it’s ballistics tools that sells them.
0
300BLK

Member
Registered:
Posts: 14
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW6964
I never had any luck using a swager, so u currently use the Lyman case prep station with the RCBS reamer tool and the Lyman reamer for when I need a little more. I also use a go no go primer guage. I think it’s ballistics tools that sells them.


Never seen one of those, but I've trashed a primer or two finding out the hard way the crimp is still there.
0
JW6964

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 68
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300BLK
Never seen one of those, but I've trashed a primer or two finding out the hard way the crimp is still there.
Here the gauge is https://ballistictools.com/store/reloading-products/small-and-large-primer-pocket-gauges These also tell when I’ve pushed the brass too hard and stretched the primer pocket.
0
JBFA

Avatar / Picture

Industry Partner
Registered:
Posts: 2,330
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW6964
Here the gauge is https://ballistictools.com/store/reloading-products/small-and-large-primer-pocket-gauges These also tell when I’ve pushed the brass too hard and stretched the primer pocket.


I use those tools as well.

__________________
JB'sFirearms,LLC 07/02 you want NFA, we can get it for you

Come on, admit it, YOU like playing with my brass, its OK

  http://www.jbsfirearms.com
0
dmr

Member
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #8 
it may be a wee late to comment but the dillon super swager works like magic on 5.6, 7.62 (51 and 63) and .45acp.
like all dillon products, not cheap but worth every cent.

__________________
it is better to be thought the fool; than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. 
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.