Modern Sporting Rifle Evolution
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Bsharp

Avatar / Picture

MSR Enthusiast
Registered:
Posts: 411
Reply with quote  #1 
I have a 7 Mag with a 20" barrel. [Weatherby Fiberguard 1985 ish]

#1 barrel taper.[ .550 muzzle]

I have been trying reduced loads out of the #45 Lyman Handbook.

They list an accuracy load of 53.0, IMR 4320, 2753 fps, 40,700 CUP.

Well, I get 2710 with a 139 Hornady.

Accuracy............2 shots near and a flyer, etc.....etc!

So I went to only firing 2 shots............and waiting for the barrel to get cold. Not warm, but cold, even waiting a day.

The pairs vary from 1/4" to 15/16"[w/w and Federal brass] all others are with w/w brass.

Most are about a half inch apart.

10 shots measure about 1 .1/16" [overlay-ed and combined targets]

3 shot groups before could be 2"s or more.

This scrawny barrel is a 2 shooter!

Just thought it might answer some of others  frustrations with accuracy.

Some light barrels don't like any heat.

Just wanted to share.



__________________
Get Close and Wack-em Hard
0
MDWS

Avatar / Picture

ADMINISTRATOR
Registered:
Posts: 5,670
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsharp
I have a 7 Mag with a 20" barrel. [Weatherby Fiberguard 1985 ish]

#1 barrel taper.[ .550 muzzle]

I have been trying reduced loads out of the #45 Lyman Handbook.

They list an accuracy load of 53.0, IMR 4320, 2753 fps, 40,700 CUP.

Well, I get 2710 with a 139 Hornady.

Accuracy............2 shots near and a flyer, etc.....etc!

So I went to only firing 2 shots............and waiting for the barrel to get cold. Not warm, but cold, even waiting a day.

The pairs vary from 1/4" to 15/16"[w/w and Federal brass] all others are with w/w brass.

Most are about a half inch apart.

10 shots measure about 1 .1/16" [overlay-ed and combined targets]

3 shot groups before could be 2"s or more.

This scrawny barrel is a 2 shooter!

Just thought it might answer some of others  frustrations with accuracy.

Some light barrels don't like any heat.

Just wanted to share.




I think we all know what you mean.  Shots in succession:  "Ok!", "NICE!", "Chit!". 


fb-img-1433284238794_orig.jpg

__________________

Don't mistake kindness for weakness...

We are charged with upholding the constitution, from all threats, foreign or domestic, and we will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.

-Mark
0
bbbrownfield

Avatar / Picture

MSR Enthusiast
Registered:
Posts: 353
Reply with quote  #3 
I don't know, I must be getting old- there was a time when three shots under a dime was good shootin'...[biggrin]
__________________
"...but I'm feeling much better now."
- John Astin
“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”
― Mark Twain
0
MDWS

Avatar / Picture

ADMINISTRATOR
Registered:
Posts: 5,670
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrownfield
I don't know, I must be getting old- there was a time when three shots under a dime was good shootin'...[biggrin]


Ha fair enough... but it still bugs me when it happens.  I see it more often with 5 shot groups.... 3 or 4 of them will be touching and then you get the flyer.  More so in an AR but it makes sense that it happens... lot of stuff going on vs. a bolt gun.

__________________

Don't mistake kindness for weakness...

We are charged with upholding the constitution, from all threats, foreign or domestic, and we will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.

-Mark
0
muellerdeal

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 84
Reply with quote  #5 
i had a bolt gun one time that did what you are talking about and i clearanced the stock and bedded it and then could shoot all day. just something to look at.....
0
Bsharp

Avatar / Picture

MSR Enthusiast
Registered:
Posts: 411
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muellerdeal
i had a bolt gun one time that did what you are talking about and i clearanced the stock and bedded it and then could shoot all day. just something to look at.....


The action came bedded, but I added aluminum pillars. The barrel is floated, maybe it needs upward pressure at the tip. [?]

I may try some shims, Thanks for the idea.

__________________
Get Close and Wack-em Hard
0
Bsharp

Avatar / Picture

MSR Enthusiast
Registered:
Posts: 411
Reply with quote  #7 
Ok, I added some wedges under the barrel. Looks like about 4"s worth. 

4 shots in a row, no waiting. 

Looks like I will be adding a permanent shim.

7mm1162019_0001.jpg 



__________________
Get Close and Wack-em Hard
0
RangerJoe

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 4,629
Reply with quote  #8 
[thumb]
__________________
Sua Sponte | Ranger Joe
0
Bsharp

Avatar / Picture

MSR Enthusiast
Registered:
Posts: 411
Reply with quote  #9 
The ole Lyman Book reduced load turns the short barreled 7 Mag into a pussy cat! 
High pressure loading for a 140 can hit 3200 fps. 
This load is 2710 with a Sierra 140 GK, and 2770 with a Nosler Partition.
A very pleasant and mild load.
Makes the Mag into a 7mm Mauser.
Drop at 300 if sighted at 200 is: 5.5" at 3200fps, and 7.7" at 2700...........the best I remember, just over 2"s more drop. For a lot less recoil.
Plenty of power for the deer I hunt.
Glad I save all the old loading books.

__________________
Get Close and Wack-em Hard
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.